2.17.2011

*Another one bites the dust*

Here we go again..a topic that I have spent 10 seconds too long dwelling on in the past & has caused me nothing but complete annoyance & headache for 2 years coming. I created this original design 2 years ago for my spring collection. (hence, Lily, thumbsucker,age 2)  I did not have a pattern for it, I did not draw inspiration from anywhere but the fabrics I saw before me, I went on a whim, & put my heart & soul into it.
Spring 2009

I attempted to replenish the fabrics last year but, they were delivered too late in the season. I could take the high road here but, since I'm pretty much a "hold nothing back" kind of person, I have to say thank you to the designer who took it into her own hands to recreate one of my designs, once again...from the ribbon & the lace down to the double ruffle bottom pants & every ruffle in between, in a different fabric combination. I thought the knockoffs were only sold on the streets of New York, not on etsy where people are paying $100's of dollars for a designers original piece of art. Personally I wouldn't be able to sit easy & sleep at night knowing that I have basically just been riding the coat tails of another designer or taking my inspiration from them to the absolute extreme.

I know there is no way to stop people from replicating your work, it has be done since the begining of time in every industry, especially the fashion world. At a fashion seminar that Mr. MOMI & I attended in NYC last month it was proclaimed almost first & foremost that indeed this is one thing that you have absolutely no control over. However, is it still beyond frusturating when I'm losing sleep at night thinking "out of the box", to deliver a design to set myself apart from the other 20 gas stations on the street.  It is clear in my perspective now why at the end of the day I am completely exhausted. For the past 2 years I have not only been the brains behind the designs of MOMI boutique, but, it seems as though I am also pulling the weight of others.

For example: take this ballerina set that sold in the Spring 2009. I purchased this exact fabric in a pink colorwary intending to recreate my exact design with the pink fabric, when the white sold out. Unfortunately, for me, before I had 10 seconds to turn my pink fabric into my design, a replica of this design from lace on the bodice, to the double ruffle bottom showed up in another etsy shop in the pink ballerinas. At that point I have 2 options, list my design up anyway in the pink & risk people thinking that now I was the one who "copied", or just let it go, sit on the fabric, & dream up something else eventually. Call it pride but
a design that was going to be easy for me to offer turned into a complete lose & the fabric sat in my armoire for over a year before I finally turned it into a OOAK & a Friday Flirt skirt, and fabulous it was! :)

At the end of the day it makes my head spin....I feel like I can't even go back & recreate some of my designs because, somebody already did. I don't think it would bother me so much, and maybe I would have never even noticed the extreme similarity, if this certain someone hadn't drawn attention to themselves 2 years ago when their shop opened & asked me to do a dress trade with them because my dresses were "just darling".  They had nothing to offer in their shop except a fancy dress that my girls had no use for & a big costume thing.  Little did I know what was really going on.
I debated writing this blog but, it is something that rides heavy on my mind almost every day, or at least every season. I always have to brace myself for the worst, and it usually comes.  Above & beyond anything else in all of my ranting, I just want to say cheers...Cheers to the facts of life.....Cheers to the reality that I will never have the opportunity to become mindless in my endeavor because the competition will always keep me at the brink.  Whether that be at the brink of success or losing my mind, that is yet to be determined! 
At the end of the day, MOMI boutique will always be MOMI boutique...and no one can take that rare.beautiful.genuine away!

Summer 2009

*Cheers*
 

15 comments:

Valerie said...

Amen to you! nobody can take your creative mind away and where you want to take your shop. i love your creations never change!

Alishia Perez said...

Girl, as hard as it is, please keep your chin up! I have not yet ordered one of your amazing creations yet (that order will be coming in soon though, for my daughter is to be the flower girl in my sister-in-law's wedding and when she saw one of your fancy dresses she told me that I HAD TO ORDER one for my daughter no if ands or butts about it), but I do love seeing what you post for it is all so beautiful. I know that there is not much that can be said to make your head stop spinning, your heart stop hurting about the time you have put into these lovely creations, or to stop the reproductions that come with your awesome creativity; please know that you are greatly talented and that your work shines amongst your peers!

Nikki said...

Hugs girl! You know I can empathize! Keep doing what you are doing and feel free to rant on, you know where to find me! Wait til you hear my latest!!! It doesn't help but you know that your customers know where it's at, they know when they need that perfect piece where to go and it's not that other place! Hugs!

Hallie Marie said...

ahhhhh, i have seen a specific designer come out with similar things right after you, although i will never know who your talking about and you what i am but i have seen this too! your the best though and we all know it, and oh my gosh don't you just want to take baby lillie out of that picture and squeeze her, adorable!

carmicheal said...

There is no one out there who can even come close to your awesome original designs and if they have to copy them, well then, that should tell you not to worry at all because it just proves they don't have even an ounce of the tallent and creativity that you do! While it is a never ending problem, just know that we dedicated Momi lovers know we are dressing out children in amazing unique quality clothing and that ALL came from only YOU! Keep doing the amazing work that you do!

tricityty said...

I think it is sad that people do this :( But you have great designs and fabric choices. If I was you I would do what you want to do. No matter what other fabrics people have copied. You know you were first and that is all that should matter. I love all the dresses and pants you make and will always come back!

Becky said...

So sorry you are going through this but that just means that you're so awesome that people want to copy you. TRUST ME - we have it in abundance in our industry too. Believe in yourself and your innovation - positivity and true talent triumphs every single time!!

MaddieMoo said...

I just want to say, Your designs have grown in leaps and bounds to keep up not only with your competition, but your girls getting older, and your fans...I am envious of your talent as an artist, and I know that everyone who buys a Momi creation feels the same. There is some saying that ends with "the greatest form of flattery" but I don't know the rest, or believe that it makes up for the disrespect you feel. Just know your loyal Momi followers will be there!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your work is absolutely beautiful, and I know what you mean! It's exhausting to pump out work that other reproduce and take the credit for. Cheers to telling it like it is!

Jaimi Hovan said...

Your work is BEAUTIFUL and my kids glow everytime they put on one of the dresses we have from you! My mom always said , "copying is the best form of flattery"... so for what it is worth....you know in your heart that it is yours and those that have purchased from you know that there is NO OTHER DESIGNER on etsy that makes a more beautiful piece.... i've learned in owning my own etsy shop - that yes they will copy - but it's the realtionships you build with your clients and how they come back to you for your SERVICE, in addition to your actual items, that make the biggest impact! xoxo

GandeFANatic said...

They may be able to imitate or copy your designs, but they can never steal your talent. :) Don't ever doubt putting something out there because you don't want your customers to think that YOU are the one riding on someone else's coattails. From what I've seen so far, you've proven yourself to be unique and original. Imitation is the best form of flattery...take it as a compliment and continue to create!! :)

Anonymous said...

Huh, I just knew it, I saw this seller on etsy " sweetplume", and I even told my husband, this girl is copying momi like crazy and not ashamed of it, but let me tell you this, once I need a girls dress I am going to momi, because you can always see the original design and work! the other seller still looks like a knock off, keep your dresses coming and don't be ashamed to repeat them even if she stole the designs, we are not blind, we all see who did them first, I am sure I am not the only one who noticed.

Heather Mullin said...

Oh my goodness, I don't have kids yet but soon! Just got married last October. ;) Just wanted to tell you that I am so glad I ran into you! Have a great week!

Heather Mullin said...

Oh, I don't know why I didn't think of this but I may be buying some things from you for photography and may also be sending clients your way! Thanks so much,
Heather
www.hdstokesphotography.com

Nikki said...

And look who is now out of business and has stolen $20,000 from her customers, and has the FBI looking into her. Karma I say! You keep rocking on girl! We love you!