7.10.2010

What's in a name?

Today I had a semi embarrassing/"Duh Rachel" moment and of course since I hold nothing back....how could I keep this from you!  I received a message from a sweet lady on etsy this morning stating that my shop was just lovely & this dress (pictured above & below) had quite a unique name which caught her attention.  She perceded to tell me that Californication is the combination of the two words California & fornication & she would hate for me to lose any customers due to the name being inappropriate. 

 So, I thought to myself..what?.. did my college education really do nothing for my vocabulary because I have absolutely no idea, still, why someone would be offended by this name.  Oh cheese & rice...I'm from Pennsylvania...what do I know about Californication!!?? I thought it was just a rockin' way of saying someone was turning into a Hollywood Blvd babe...star studded glitz & glam, sunkissed skin, golden locks. How could I not help thinking California babe after looking at the pics I took of Lily in these rad little edgy sunshine dresses?!   I quick googled the lyrics to Red hot chili peppers "californication" & pulled up the trusty online webster dictionary.  Sure enough I was WAY off!! Etsy should have shut me down.. haha. NO, MOMI boutique is NOT selling Californication..EVER. Mr. Momi commented this past week that everything I make is soft & sweet & told me I had to make at least one dress with NO pink. Little did I know I was starting a MOMI boutique controversy by the name I chose.  As if this whole designing clothes/owning a business thing isn't hard enough.. I guess I need to start having a screening process for the naming of my dresses.  Mr. Momi..looks like you just earned a new job responsibility!
p.s. Sorry if I offended anyone else in my name selection..I really had no such intentions!!

5 comments:

tricityty said...

Didn't offend me and I am from CA.. Born and raised.. Guess I wasn't paying much attention when I read the name either!

A Few of My Favorite Things said...

That is too funny!

Hallie Marie said...

i guess i am as clueless as you, i thought the name was cute though! is that a pink painted wall in your house??? or how did you do that background, i love it! i have a dress idea name for you, the crazy cashlen, hehe! by the way, cute pics coming soon of the 3 in their shorts!

pinksarahh said...

That is too funny! i only start singing the song when I see that dress! I guess I didn't knwow better either!!! Great dress! Can't wait for your fall!

betsy said...

LMAO and love love that dress! new follower.:)